Thursday, January 13, 2011

First Look: Andrew Garfield as Spider-Man

It may not come out until 2012, but here's the first look at Andrew Garfield as Peter Parker/Spider-Man from Marc Webb's unneeded reboot of the film franchise...

While it's thankfully a tangible suit and not CGI like Green Lantern's costume (that's a rant for another time), I can't say I've very pleased with this... for one it just doesn't look like any other Spider-Man costume before it. Where's the webbing that looks like webs? The stripe that connects from the shoulders to the hands? The waistline? And why does it still not look like something that Peter Parker could make himself?!

Sure, the previous costume wasn't perfect, but with one look I could tell it was Spider-Man! It at least followed the design of the original look in the comics, aside from the silver webbing. But what the hell is going on here? What's with the spike design in what seem to be separate gloves? Why would you put a long narrow torso piece on a guy that's already tall and skinny? At least Toby Macguire was stout, the costume suited him, this just looks weird.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, Spider-Man 1 and 2 are probably my favorite, most memorable superhero films, sure the third film was pretty bad, but there was no need to reboot it already. I'm bitter about it now, and I'll probably be bitter about it until a trailer comes out. But seriously, let's try making films of other superheroes before we start rebooting ones that were already fantastic...

No comments: