Monday, February 16, 2009

After Thoughts: James Franco Q&A

Just got back before from the James Franco Q&A, which, if I got anything out of it, I learned that the next time the School of Visual Arts Film Department holds a Q&A session with a reasonably famous person, I should prepare better.

First off, despite getting to the amphitheater an hour early, I was quite a distance from the first people in line. Once I got in, there wasn't a seat left, forcing me to take a seat on the aisle stairs, while other plotted themselves on the floor (a much better decision in retrospective). And on top of all of this, because of my recently deceased digital camera, I was stuck with my 1.3 megapixel cellphone. So let's just say I wasn't in the greatest of means to cover this thoroughly.

Around 7:10 (yes, i was taking notes) clips of films Franco has been in were screened: Spider-Man, In the Valley of Elah, Pineapple Express, and Milk. Around 7:23, James entered the amphitheater (cue screaming girls) and soon after the interview started. It was mildly informal, as James liked to drag on with his answers to the interviewer's questions. So at the end of it all, it felt like only 3 questions were ever answered. Come 8:06, it was time for open Q&A with the audience; and sorry for getting your hopes up, but try as I may, I wasn't one of only three people to get a question in.

However, I tried my best to jot down some relavent notes based on your requests. First, our very own Zach asked about Franco's role in any future Spider-Man projects and whether he'd be ding more serious or comedic roles. Well, first off, Spider-Man was never mentioned during the interview, as for his future work, he's is currently signed on for a biopic of poet, Allan Ginsberg, which I'd strong assume is a serious piece.

Pandaslayer15 (great name, by the way) asked what got him into acting? This was actually covered in the interview; he said he always had an interest, but it wasn't until he was in college when a girlfriend at the time brought him along to auditions and he learned the ins and outs of such sessions.

An anonymous poster asked about Franco's involvement in the Jeff Buckley biopic. Unfortunately, this was never brought up, but consider that project has been around since 2006, and Franco stated he is already working on that Allen Ginsberg biopic, I can assume that such involvement, if any, is unlikely in the near future.

And yes, that's about all I have for you. Sorry I couldn't do more, but I really just had no idea what to expect; but I know now to be much better prepared next time. As stated, I used my cellphone to get some pictures, if there's anything worthwhile I'll add it to Flickr; it wouldn't be the first time we posted bad cellphone captures.

Update: Two photos added

No comments: