Thursday, September 30, 2010

This Week In Fringe - 9/30/10

This week returns to the normal universe, as opposed to the alternate, where things are starting to heat up a bit. "Evil" Olivia is still on a mission, and has met up with allied forces, such as Thomas Newton, the main bad dude from last season.

Episode 2 - "The Box"

Zach says: It appears as though they are looking for parts to the machine in the alternate universe, this week, with the part being something that transmits an ultra sonic audio blast that basically melts brains. Soothing.

The main focus of the episode was on figuring out this machine and trying to procure it, which was successful by the end. Other than that, we see a bit of both Olivia's cunning, and sensitivity. I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the season, she turns things around and starts fighting for the good guys. Another big revelation was in William Bell's will. Apparently, he left Walter quite a gift, which could have big consequences in the near future. Not quite sure what those may turn out to be, but something, I'm sure.

Overall, it was a good episode which showed a lot of sides to various characters and presented a solid story that builds on the main story arc. Previews for next episode might be more disappointing and be less relevant, but only time will tell.
Zach's Score: 8/10

JDW says: After a quarrel last week, I'm both pleased and surprised to say I'm actually in agreement with Zach this week. I'm not sure how I feel yet about going back and forth between universes each week, but this episode almost made me wish that last week's season premiere was two-hours long so that we got an extended look at how both universes were effected by last season events. Of course, knowing me I'd of probably hated that, and I wasn't feeling the return to formula tonight at first, but, it progressed the main story so there's nothing to complain about.

All in all the second half of the episode was far more compelling than the first, although Peter's sudden uncomfortableness with Walter was weird, because he seemed perfectly fine around him in the beginning of the episode, and then he was all "I don't even know you!" and stuff. And I have to agree with Zach, I was pretty much shocked when Walter finally revealed what William Bell left him in his will, after all that anticipation, it was pretty crazy and I'm curious to know how this will affect the rest of the season.
JDW's Score: 8.5/10

Overall Score: 8.3/10

Missed the episode? Watch it on Hulu

No comments: