Saturday, June 5, 2010

Star Wars/Adidas 2010 World Cup Ad

To create something cool for the 2010 World Cup (and promote their new line of clothing to an extent I suppose), Lucasfilm and Adidas put together this neat little video mash-up of the famous Cantina scene from Star Wars (a.k.a. Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope), but with famous (or should I say semi-famous) athletes, actors, and musicians.



Among the inclusions are Daft Punk, ex-Oasis member Noel Gallagher, Ian Brown (of the Stone Roses), Snoop Dogg, David Beckham, and the annoying voiced Jay Baruchel (She's Out of My League, How to Train Your Dragon). Apparently there's a couple others in there as well, but I don't recognize them.

The mash-up is done pretty well, but if I was to start a sci-fi flame war right now, I'd say the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine episode, "Trials and Tribble-ations" was a way cooler use of new footage in old footage, and did it fourteen years ago. And there's Forest Gump.

I mean, Daft Punk looks awesome and extremely fitting in the Cantina, but who really wants to see a classic scene covered in product-placement and including Jay Baruchel in there like he's actually in the same realm of accomplishment as the rest of the people here are in their respective fields. Just saying, to use a pun, Star Wars is out of his league.

C'mon, "Celebrate Originality"? Really?!

No comments: