Saturday, August 29, 2009

Noel Gallagher leaves Oasis

So much for expecting to hear even better material from Oasis, especially after their stellar album, Dig Out Your Soul, which released last October. Why? Because as of last night, Noel Gallagher, the principal songwriter and only consistent member (along with his brother Liam) of Oasis, quit the band. And because he's the principal songwriter it pretty much leaves the band's entire future in jeopardy. Noel left this statement on Oasisinet.com:

"It's with some sadness and great relief to tell you that I quit Oasis tonight. People will write and say what they like, but I simply could not go on working with Liam a day longer."

A full statement from Noel regarding his resignation from the band can be found here, but it will require you to register on their website. For your sake though, I've already done that and clipped what you need to read:

"As of last Friday the 28th August, I have been forced to leave the Manchester rock'n'roll pop group Oasis.

The details are not important and of too great a number to list. But I feel you have the right to know that the level of verbal and violent intimidation towards me, my family, friends and comrades has become intolerable. And the lack of support and understanding from my management and band mates has left me with no other option than to get me cape and seek pastures new....

...In closing I would like to thank all the Oasis fans, all over the world. The last 18 years have been truly, truly amazing (and I hate that word, but today is the one time I'll deem it appropriate). A dream come true. I take with me glorious memories."

Now, everyone probably knows that turmoil between the Gallagher brothers is nothing new, but this is the first time that either of them have ever said, "I quit." So I'm going to assume that this really is it for the band, sadly. I mean, it's possible that Liam can take the band on his own, but I just don't think he could do it and the band wouldn't feel the same. Maybe now Noel can get on to doing that long rumored solo album...

No comments: