Thursday, July 17, 2008

Multi-platform Games Part One

First of all I would like to say, holy hell, theirs a lot of multi-platform games to cover, so I'll split this up into two or three parts. Second of all... that's it, lets get rollin'!

Mercenaries 2: World In Flames -
Personally, I missed out on the first Mercenaries. Because if the first is anything like the second is looking to be, it must be one amazing game. With a extremely destructible environment, 130 different vehicles, and seamless co-op, Mercenaries 2 is looking amazing. I saw minimal pop-up and no slowdown whatsoever in the gameplay demo, even when a nuke was called in- which by the way caused the biggest explosion I have ever seen in a videogame, and possibly the most impressive. The game seemed to be very physics heavy, with both the environmental objects and with any of the many vehicles involving cars, jetskiis, tanks, motorcycles, and more. All in all, this is looking to be a very entertaining sandbox game.

Street Fighter IV -
While I can't say I'm very impressed with the direction SFIV is taking, I can say that the graphics look extremely impressive, even though the character design kind of... well sucks. Although Street Fighter II fans should find something to be happy about here, as the games playing style is based on SFII, and the complexity has been brought down from three. Sure, simplicity is nice sometimes, but only two buttons are used. That sounds kind of over the line. I'm hoping the gameplay will win me over, but so far this isn't looking like a buy for me, sorry Street Fighter!

Golden Axe: Beast Rider
-
The sequel to a classic, which I used to play all the time, is coming to PS3's and 360's this holiday season, and it looks quite fun. Featuring five ride-able beasts with differing strengths and weaknesses, you'll be able to tear through the enemies limb for limb. That's right, dismemberment and a M-rating! Anyone who has played Ninja Gaiden 2 can testify as to how satisfying that can be if done right. But, my one hope for this game is that you get to tear into those damn little dwarfs. While they are confirmed to return in this game, the tearing into them part is not.

Borderlands -
Now this is one of the best surprises from this years E3. I heard about this quite a long time ago, but never saw any real details or screens or anything and it just kind of vanished for a year or two. Then this year it was shown off in a gameplay demo, and wow, it is amazing. If I had to explain I would say Diablo/Oblivion/Fallout 3. Yeah, that is a force to be reckoned with. Co-op with up to 4 players, and over 500,000 weapons. (Yeah you heard me right. All different, some with elemental effects, other with just plain awesomeness imbued into them.) It seriously is looking like a must have. The game is set in a apocalyptic world and has a sort of Mad Max-like vibe. You and your friends can hop in a vehicle and travel the lands, or just go exploring in minds and whatnot. Level up yourself overall, and in weapon categories and fight even stronger monsters. Blow people in half with shotguns (yeah, you can. Sold yet?). Fight bandits, or even alien wildlife. This is looking extremely expansive, and is already a day one buy for me.

Left 4 Dead -
Not much new to share about the new zombie game from valve. Still looks like a load of fun. 4-player co-op, split screen, and zombies. You cannot go wrong with that. Added with the new character models and the creepy new expansive, yet claustrophobic forest environment and you have yourself a game that's looking even more fleshed out and fun than ever. Watch for it this November, the 4th I believe.

No comments: