Tuesday, February 2, 2010

2010 Oscar Nominations

They're here! 2010 Oscar Nominations! Not going to give the full list, just some thoughts. For the full list check it out at Oscar.com.

Best Picture
This one shocked me, honestly. Not only are there 10 films nominated, but the list includes the likes of the independent films, District 9 (which was fantastic, now that I finally saw it) and The Hurt Locker (also fantastic), but also Disney/Pixar's UP! Yes, an animated film, nominated for Best Picture, it's pretty awesome and well deserved (it already got a VFH Seal of Approval). Fellow SoA winner, Inglourious Basterds is also nominated in this category.

Best Actor
For Leading Actor, I'm going to say Jeremy Renner for The Hurt Locker, because it's the only film on the list I've seen, and it was pretty damn good. For Supporting, Christoph Waltz, for his performance in Inglourious Basterds... for the same reasoning.

Animated Feature Film
Another shocker, kind of, in that this is the first year (maybe ever?) that not only are there 5 films nominated, but that only one of them is 3D computer animated. Both Coraline and Fantastic Mr. Fox (Seal of Approval winner) are stop-motion films, Disney's The Princess and the Frog and independent Irish film, The Secret of Kells, are 2D traditional animation, leaving UP as the only film in CGI. Witch UP nominated for Best Picture (that's still awesome to say!) I'm curious if it will win this one, I know it deserves either one, but I'm curious if the Academy will decide to not choose a CGI film for once and maybe give this to Fantastic Mr. Fox, the only real competition, in my opinion.

Other Mentions
Let's see, Star Trek was actually nominated, albeit for technical things like Make Up (and it's only against a film I never heard of), Visual Effects (where it's only up against District 9, I'm more surprised Avatar isn't here, because that's all that film was), as well as Sound Editing and Sound Mixing. And both Up and Fantastic Mr. Fox are nominated for Best Score, which is pretty rad.

What's Missing?
Moon. Honestly, what does it take for director Duncan Jones, Sam Rockwell, and composer Clint Mansell to actually get some Hollywood recognition for the stunning work they did on Moon? I still love the film regardless of whatever the Academy says, but I think it's a shame that more buzz wasn't given to this film, as much as say, District 9, which also falls into the "independent sci-fi" category (granted at $25 Million more budget). I guess I'd mention (500) Days of Summer as well, that film got a lot of praise (even though I wasn't too blown away by it), but I guess that's what happens with no Musical/Comedy category.

Those are my thoughts, what are yours regarding this year's Oscar nominations and snubs?

No comments: