Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Final G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra poster...

Just got this 'final one-sheet' poster for G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra from Paramount, figured it was worth analyzing:


(click for larger version)

From my knowledge, that seems to be our first look at Destro with his metal face, because prior to this we've only seen him as a human (played by Chistopher "The Doctor" Eccleston) in the trailer. Also, on the top right there, looks to be the first real image of Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Cobra Commander; which you may notice looks very different from the source material, as the producer's felt the original Cobra Commander's hood to be too reminiscent of 'the Klan'.

Personally, I'm not overly excited to see the movie (and according to our recent poll, neither were you). From the footage I've watched there seems to be way to many CG humans (i.e. I don't mind CG robots in Transformers, you can't actually build those for a movie, but when your film is about human soldiers, at least have actors, not computers, for most of your scenes), and that's many due to these unnecessary "accelerator suits" made for the film... oh and there's also the really corny acting.

I grew up loving G.I. Joe, but this franchise just doesn't appeal to me like Transformers still does. Maybe it's because the latter has been constantly re-imagined for television in the last decade or so, where as G.I. Joe has had less adaptations... I'm just guessing here, what do you think?

G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra releases in theaters everywhere on August 7th, 2009.

UPDATE: Apparently I'm wrong, seems metal face there is a generic Cobra grunt, and the mysterious one in the upper left is a new character called "The Doctor" (and no, not THAT Doctor)... but I also hear The Doctor is Cobra Commander.. so I don't know.

No comments: