Thursday, August 14, 2008

Atmosphere and Older Games

Today I received Silent Hill 2 in the mail. I was pretty eager to play, but the window right in front of my TV was causing a horrible glare, and I could hear my mom talking to the dog in the other room. I wanted to really be drawn into the game, so I waited. I waited a few hours, still with no decent chance, so I just popped the game in and played away.

So far I haven't encountered any puzzles, and I'm struggling with the classic survival horror controls that I used to play without a second thought. But the thing that is really making this game worth it so far is the atmosphere. It doesn't matter what's going on around you, you're going to focus on the game. Their really didn't seem to be a transitional period into being involved. This really impressed me, especially for a game of about 7 years old.

Hopefully the rest of the game shapes up to be as impressive as the overall tone and feeling of the game, because they really nailed the whole "scary apartment building" feel. Anyways, if nothing else its one game to cross off of my "to buy" games for last gen. Which I've been slowly progressing through. I believe it started with ICO, then went on to this, Silent Hill 2. Next up is most likely Zone of the Enders: 2nd Runner.

No comments: